Percy Grainger America
The Grainger Home
The Percy Grainger Home and Studio is an exceptionally significant local landmark because of its association with the life and work of Percy Grainger (1882-1961), composer, pianist, collector of folk songs, and writer. For forty years, from 1921 until his death in 1961, Grainger occupied the house at 7 Cromwell Place, White Plains, using it for his residence, practice studio, and laboratory for his avant-garde musical compositions and experimental music machines. After service in World War I, Grainger purchased the single-family residence in White Plains that became his home and studio for the rest of his life; the building is the resource most significantly associated with Grainger in America.
This historic house, built in 1893, and added to the National Register of Historic Places on April 8, 1993, was originally the residence of David Cromwell, banker and prominent local citizen. Cromwell served as Westchester County Treasurer and Chief Officer of the then Village of White Plains. He was president of several local banks, most notably the Home Savings Bank.
Cromwell built the two streets which connect Maple Avenue and East Post Road. Chester Avenue, parallel and to the east of Cromwell Place, built and deeded to White Plains in 1891, was named for his son John Chester Cromwell. Chester later lived in a house there, which still stands behind the Percy Grainger House. He died in 1907, age 30, while fighting a fire on Main Street, only days after he was married.
While some of the Cromwells’ household items are stored on the third floor, the Grainger House remains today furnished as it was during Grainger’s lifetime, a dramatic living testimony to the life and times of a multi-faceted genius. It is one of the cultural gems of Westchester County and a site visited by a steady stream of musicians, historians and students from all over the world.
The City of White Plains, upon unanimous vote by the Common Council, accepted the Commission's recommendation, and the Grainger Home was recognized for its historic and cultural significance. If you are interested in seeing this historic treasure in person, join us for a dedication on May 12, 2017. Click HERE for information about tickets and sponsorships.